FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Bass Pro Shops founder and noted conservationist Johnny Morris today announced “Anglers for the Bahamas,” a campaign to support the Bahamas in the wake of catastrophic devastation caused by Hurricane Dorian. Together with fishing industry partners, the initial donations are approaching nearly $2 million after a Thursday morning launch event.
Bass Pro Shops is contributing a minimum of $1 million toward relief efforts, including $500,000 worth of donated goods and $500,000 in cash donations to Convoy of Hope, an international humanitarian relief organization. As part of the donation, the outdoor retailer is contributing thousands of essential supplies including family-sized tents, outdoor cooking kits, and protein-rich Jack Links Beef Jerky. Other partners like Tyson Foods are donating 125,000 meals.
Uniting the angling community with Convoy of Hope, a respected worldwide leader in relief efforts
“All of us at Bass Pro Shops are heartbroken by the devastation in the Bahamas, which hold a special place in the hearts of all anglers. We understand anglers and many others may feel the same way and want to help but simply don’t know where to start. This was our inspiration to create Anglers for the Bahamas: Fishin’ for a Mission,” said Johnny Morris. “Beyond our pledge of financial support, we feel we can play a far greater role in supporting the Bahamas and its wonderful people by uniting anglers with an efficient and highly respected relief organization, Convoy of Hope.”
To reinforce this effort, Bass Pro will directly appeal to its database of over 200 million outdoor enthusiasts, vendors and industry partners to make donations through anglersforthebahamas.org, its stores, email database and on social media.
Convoy of Hope is a highly regarded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charity with emergency responders currently plugged in on the front lines throughout the Bahamas. Based in Bass Pro’s hometown of Springfield, Missouri, the international relief organization has built a reputation over the past 25 years of efficiently and effectively assisting communities impacted by natural disasters, crises and areas of extreme need around the world:
- Worked on the ground in 48 states and more than 126 countries;
- Responded to more than 370 disasters;
- Served more than 100 million people in need;
- Delivered 15,890 truckloads worth of food, water and relief supplies;
- Mobilized more than 622,000 volunteers
- Earned a “Four Star Charity” rating from Charity Navigator 16 years in a row, ensuring more than 90 percent of every dollar raised goes to support on-the-ground relief.
“The Morris family and Bass Pro Shops have supported us for more than 20 years because of our extensive expertise supporting disaster relief efforts and making a difference where it’s needed most,” said Jeff Nene, national spokesperson for Convoy of Hope. “With the massive effort underway in the Bahamas, everyone who cares about this special place can feel confident their dollars will go where they are needed most.”
Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s customers can round-up their purchases to support relief efforts in impacted areas at all Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s locations across North America. Customers can also donate through the company’s web sites, emails and on social media channels.
“Last Friday, I toured the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas by air and saw firsthand the devastation of the Abaco Islands and Marsh Harbor,” said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. “This week I was proud to announce our state has teamed up with Florida Power and Light to donate more than half a million bottles of water along with the $11 million in generous donations from Floridians and corporations. Today, I’m proud to be with Bass Pro as they launch recovery efforts and raise significant funds to assist the people of the Bahamas in their time of need.”
Angling industry partners step up to support the Bahamas
Since initial outreach began just two days ago, several high-profile individuals and business partners have already pledged to donate to Convoy of Hope’s efforts as part of “Anglers for the Bahamas.” Bass Pro’s goal for the campaign is to have a multiplying effect to do good. Preliminary support includes:
- Tyson Foods – donating 125,000 servings of canned chicken valued at $150,000 in honor of the late Don Tyson, former Chairman of the Board, President & CEO, a world-renowned fisherman, founder of the Billfish Foundation that promotes conservation of marlin and other billfish and a member of the International Game Fish Association Fishing Hall of Fame
- Jack Links Beef Jerky – donating 5,000 bags of high-protein jerky and an equivalent matching cash donation for a total gift of $50,000
- Textron TRACKER OFF ROAD Vehicles – donating $100,000
- Alan Williams donating $100,000
- Mastercard – donating $200,000 donation to Red Cross and waiving interchange fees through November 15 to several charitable donations in the name of Bahamas relief, as well as providing waivers to help get local businesses back on their feet
- Pure Fishing (parent company of leading fishing brands including Abu Garcia, Berkley, Johnson and others) – donating $75,000
- Navico Marine Electronics – donating $50,000
- True Timber (camouflage and fishing apparel) – donating $25,000
- Engel Coolers – donating $25,000 in products
- Country music star and avid angler Luke Bryan – donating $10,000
- Sunglass Hut – donating $10,000
- Champion Power Equipment – donating $10,000
- Tree House Kids, Inc. – donating $10,000
- Feradyne Outdoors – donating $10,000
- Springfield Striping – donating $10,000
- PS Seasonings & Spices – donating $10,000
- SOS – donating $10,000
- Leica – donating $10,000
- Champagne Metals – donating $10,000
- Additional generous support comes from other initial partners including American Fishing Tackle Company, Famous Dave’s BBQ, Barrows Excavation, Opie’s Landscaping, Foggy River Realty, Keys Painting, Tom Boyce Excavating and Martin Dingman.
To donate directly to relief efforts, please visit www.anglersforthebahamas.org.
# # #
About Bass Pro Shops
Bass Pro Shops is North America’s premier outdoor and conservation company. Founded in 1972 when avid young angler Johnny Morris began selling tackle out of his father’s liquor store in Springfield, Missouri, today the company provides customers with unmatched offerings spanning premier destination retail, outdoor equipment manufacturing, world-class resort destinations and more. In 2017 Bass Pro Shops acquired Cabela’s to create a “best-of-the-best” experience with superior products, dynamic locations and outstanding customer service. Bass Pro Shops also operates White River Marine Group, offering an unsurpassed collection of industry-leading boat brands, and Big Cedar Lodge, America’s Premier Wilderness Resort. Under the visionary conservation leadership of Johnny Morris, Bass Pro Shops is a national leader in protecting habitat and introducing families to the outdoors and has been named by Forbes as “one of America’s Best Employers.”